(ESTIMATION TIME: 4 MINUTES)
In this article I’ll put short glimpse of what has been announced on SharePoint Virtual Summit 2019. Be aware that some of following features may be still in preview but are going to appear later this year. I skipped features that has been announced on Microsoft Build 2019
SharePoint Document Libraries
- Build custom forms using PowerApps
- Microsoft Teams will gets enriched metadata experience
- Bulk Actions
This feature was requested for a long time. And now here it is: you can select multiple items/document and take an action for all of them: update properties, download, delete, approve, move etc.
- New Flow actions
There are scenarios in which you need to check-in/check-out documents, get version information, grant access or create folders as a part of larger business process in Flow. Until now you could do that only by calling SharePoint HTTP REST API. But from now on you can do all of above simply by using Flow actions!
- File request feature
This is a bomb! You will be able to request files from other users directly from the place where you store your files! The recipients will get email with link. Once they click on it they will see consistent UI with built-in files upload.
- Organization document templates
governance becomes even easier!
- Organization Home site
It’s a communication site with some extra superpowers. It searches for data tenant wide, mark site news as organizational news, enables special SP mobile app. For me it completes perfectly org-wide Teams team. Just add tenant Home site as a tab in an Ord-wide Teams team
- New page designs
- New webparts – i.e. Yammer!
- News links
- Audience targeting
- Sync Microsoft Teams files to you PC or Mac
- Teams apps in SharePoint sites
- Enhanced SharePoint list experience embedded in Teams
- Enhanced co-authoring acroos mobile, web and desktop versions of Word, PowerPoint and Excel (only for Office 365 and files in the cloud)
- Rename your SharePoint site (including its URL)
- Replace the root site within a tenant
you’ll be able to build a new org site on the side and once completed it swap it with a root site…it couldn’t be simpler.
- Create SharePoint list using excel file with an option to configure columns types!
- Share & Forget with external access expiration
- File restore for SharePoint just as it is already for OneDrive
- Sensitivity labels
the mechanism known from Azure Information Protection is now being supported by SharePoint and OneDrive (and it is called Microsoft Information Protection)
- Decide where your data related to SharePoint and O365 groups will be stored using multi-geo capabilities
- Customizable Search to rule them all!
The same search experience will be shared across any Microsoft platform. Top, middle, search. Oh and there will be available to add custom verticals, custom refiners and custom display templates! What is more you will be able to search for conversations from Yammer and Microsoft Teams in any search endpoint!
- Search in Office
Discover your network of apps, files, folders, people, organization charts, SharePoint sites, site pages, lists and list items
- Search in SharePoint
Catch up on news and announcements. Find the sites that are relevant to you without scrolling through endless bookmarks. Pick up on that shared document you were working on
- Search in OneDrive
Discover relevant information to help you get work done where you’re working through intelligent results and sophisticated refinement
- Search in Windows
Search right from your Windows desktop. This way you can search not only inside your local files but also in Office365, person in organization with smart suggestions based on the people you work with the most
- Administer your Microsoft Search
Control organization search using provided powerful admin center and manage all of Microsoft Search endpoints!
- Office Lens (which I’m addicted to btw) functionalities like scanning will be part of OneDrive app!
- 320+ file previers now also contains DWG files (AutoCAD) and FBX (AutoDesk)
- video and audio transcription in OneDrive and SharePoint
- SharePoint inspirations!
B-E-A-UTIFUL! Shows not only designs but also Information Architectures
As you can see SharePoint is not stopping in getting new capabilities. But what may not see and I have to tell you – many of above changes came from UserVoice. UserVoice is a forum where everyone can submit a bug, an idea or new feature request and Microsoft will implement it if only the post gets enough amount of community support (represented by likes). Changes presented on SharePoint Virtual Summit 2019 are the best prove that Microsoft is listening to its users!